Stockholm

Codex Gigas came to Stockholm in 1649, where in May 1672 three Germans visiting the city were allowed to see it (f. 307v). Johan Elers (1730-1813), poet, topographer and Assistant Librarian of the Royal Library, entered his signature in 1752 (f. 312r). He had worked on Codex Gigas and transcribed the conjurations text which follows the picture of the Devil. The transcript is still extant.

Finally, two Czech scholars, Jan Pečírka (1818-70) and Beda Dudik (1819-90), entered their names on the last leaf of the manuscript (f. 312r). They examined Codex Gigas the mid-19th century. Dudik especially made lasting contributions to scholarship.

See the additions